Nonetheless, it was very pretty. I began by going down, down, down from Lake Virginia to Tully Hole.
Lake Virginia from my campsite
Rockfringe. Epilobium obcordatum. Evening primrose family.
I love seeing golden-mantled ground squirrels and other little critters eating appropriate foods instead of going after my trail mix.
After you leave Lake Virginia, you go down a canyon on switchbacks. The views are great but the whole time I thought "Oh, shoot I'm gonna have to go back UP the other side!"
There's a stream at the bottom (Tully Hole, Fish Creek), with flowing water... making me wonder where the @$@@# all the mosquitoes were coming from???
You cross a pretty substantial bridge over the water, but there are a few other minor water crossings too so if you need to fill up it's hardly your last chance.
A flower called Elephant's Head. Can you see it?
Then I crossed a wooden bridge, looked right, and saw this:
THAT is where the mosquitoes were coming from.
Which isn't to say it wasn't pretty:
Lupines and Paintbrushes
Mountain Pride Penstemon, Penstemon newberryi var. newberryi.
And, at last I reached Squaw Lake and finding a nice flat area next to it perfect for several tents.
So I pitched mine:
Then I did all of my laundry, washed myself, ate, and hung out with a nice group of fellow JMTers camped there.
Day 9 miles hiked: 5.3 mi
Day 9 elevation gain: 1100 ft
Total Distance Hiked to date: 63.3 mi
Total JMT distance hiked to date: 47.6 mi
All of my JMT photos can be seen here.
Previous JMT posts:
- Planning my Itinerary
- Getting My Permit
- Training for Mountains in a Flat State
- JMT Training Hike and Gear Test 1: San Bernardino Peak
- JMT Training Hike 2: El Capitan Open Space Preserve
- JMT Training Hike 3: Noble Canyon, Bottom Up
- Food and Resupplies
- The Camera
- JMT Training Hike 4: Mt. Baldy
- New Training Plan
- Last Minute Prep, Freaking Out, and Loose Ends
- Day 1: Happy Isles to Little Yosemite Valley
- Day 2: Half Dome
- Day 3: Little Yosemite Valley to Past Sunrise Creek
- Day 4: Before Sunrise High Sierra to Tuolumne Meadows
- Day 5: Lyell Canyon Out and Back
- Day 6: A Quick Jaunt on the PCT
- Day 7: Red's to Deer Creek
- Day 8: Deer Creek to Lake Virginia
- Reducing Pack Weight and Changing Food