Then the clouds began to build up, AGAIN.
We set off for Glen Pass, which was 1200 feet of switchbacks and rock. By the time we reached the top, the clouds had completely covered the sky.
Charlotte Lake, from the trail to Glen Pass
Flower on Glen Pass
The view down from Glen Pass
At the top of Glen Pass, I ran into 4 people I'd met earlier on the trail. Two were going very fast and having no problems. Another two had been going slower but then they realized they were running out of food and they'd better pick up the pace. They were young men and hiker hunger had hit, so they'd underestimated their food needs when planning.
The weather held out til we got to Rae Lakes, and then it let loose on us. I was game to keep going, but my companion, a NOBO hiker, wanted to set up tents in case the rain would be as bad as the day before. Since he was the one who had to make his miles for his hike, and I was just messing around until I ran into my friends and started south again, I let him make the call. Shortly after we set up our tents, the rain abated. Alas, the clouds stuck around.
Day 13 miles hiked: 5.2
Day 13 elevation gain: 1600 ft
Total Distance Hiked to date: 88.7 mi
Total JMT distance hiked SOBO to date: 48.1 mi
All of my JMT photos can be seen here.
Previous JMT posts:
- Planning my Itinerary
- Getting My Permit
- Training for Mountains in a Flat State
- JMT Training Hike and Gear Test 1: San Bernardino Peak
- JMT Training Hike 2: El Capitan Open Space Preserve
- JMT Training Hike 3: Noble Canyon, Bottom Up
- Food and Resupplies
- The Camera
- JMT Training Hike 4: Mt. Baldy
- New Training Plan
- Last Minute Prep, Freaking Out, and Loose Ends
- Day 1: Happy Isles to Little Yosemite Valley
- Day 2: Half Dome
- Day 3: Little Yosemite Valley to Past Sunrise Creek
- Day 4: Before Sunrise High Sierra to Tuolumne Meadows
- Day 5: Lyell Canyon Out and Back
- Day 6: A Quick Jaunt on the PCT
- Day 7: Red's to Deer Creek
- Day 8: Deer Creek to Lake Virginia
- Day 9: Lake Virginia to Squaw Lake
- Day 10: Squaw Lake to VVR
- Reducing Pack Weight and Changing Food
- Day 11: Onion Valley to Flower Lake
- Day 12: Flower Lake to Charlotte Lake