Before leaving Red's, we saw this gorgeous Western Tanager:
Western Tanager at Red's Meadow Resort
Then we got going. The area immediately south of Red's was devastated by the 1992 Rainbow Fire. It's still missing all of its trees.
While you won't see trees, you will see a lot of plant life, including flowers, gooseberries, and shrubs. I also saw quite a few elder trees in full bloom.
Gooseberry (not ripe yet)
At one point, I felt like I was walking in a maze of ferns.
At last, you reach a place with trees again.
It isn't long before the landscape gets beautiful again, like this stream surrounded by wildflowers:
I love this plant, Little Elephant's Head. There's also a Sierra wildflower called Elephant's Head that has a more pronounced head, ears, and trunk. This one is all trunk and ears.
Before too long, we hit Deer Creek. We set up camp and met the others who were camping there with us - 15 people in total. It was a short day of hiking, and Deer Creek was a fantastic site to wash, do laundry, and socialize around a campfire. Most of the folks camped there that night planned to go on to either Purple Lake or Virginia Lake the next day, which meant we would see many of them again.
Day 7 miles hiked: 5.8 mi
Day 7 elevation gain: 1570 ft
Total Distance Hiked to date: 48.4 mi
Total JMT distance hiked to date: 37.2 mi
All of my JMT photos can be seen here.
Previous JMT posts:
- Planning my Itinerary
- Getting My Permit
- Training for Mountains in a Flat State
- JMT Training Hike and Gear Test 1: San Bernardino Peak
- JMT Training Hike 2: El Capitan Open Space Preserve
- JMT Training Hike 3: Noble Canyon, Bottom Up
- Food and Resupplies
- The Camera
- JMT Training Hike 4: Mt. Baldy
- New Training Plan
- Last Minute Prep, Freaking Out, and Loose Ends
- Day 1: Happy Isles to Little Yosemite Valley
- Day 2: Half Dome
- Day 3: Little Yosemite Valley to Past Sunrise Creek
- Day 4: Before Sunrise High Sierra to Tuolumne Meadows
- Day 5: Lyell Canyon Out and Back
- Day 6: A Quick Jaunt on the PCT
- Reducing Pack Weight and Changing Food