The first 5.2 miles from Deer Creek to Duck Creek was a stretch without any water. It was not very pretty, although there were some nice views at points. There was a lot of sagebrush, and some flowers. You'll notice several shots of paintbrushes because this segment was supposed to have a few different species of them, and I was trying to find them all in my impaired state.
And... at last... Duck Creek.
And columbines growing there...
I was in bad shape by the time I got there. Purple Lake was another 2.5 miles, and Lake Virginia was another 4.5 miles. By the time I reached Duck Creek, I had reformulated my itinerary for how many miles a day I planned to do to get to MTR (skipping VVR). By the time I got to Purple Lake, I'd decided to quit the trail altogether. And maybe I would just camp at Purple Lake.
I couldn't find a good spot to camp at Purple Lake, and my friends had gone on to Lake Virginia, where they were expecting me. So I kept going. Those were not fun miles to hike.
Even feeling as sick as I did, I could not help but notice the beauty of Virginia Lake.
The last thing I did that night before hitting the hay was snag this pic of a white columbine. It was the only one I saw on the entire trail, and it was right after the Lake Virginia inlet crossing at mile 74.7 of the trail.
Day 8 miles hiked: 9.7 mi
Day 8 elevation gain: 1510 ft
Total Distance Hiked to date: 58.0 mi
Total JMT distance hiked to date: 42.3 mi
All of my JMT photos can be seen here.
Previous JMT posts:
- Planning my Itinerary
- Getting My Permit
- Training for Mountains in a Flat State
- JMT Training Hike and Gear Test 1: San Bernardino Peak
- JMT Training Hike 2: El Capitan Open Space Preserve
- JMT Training Hike 3: Noble Canyon, Bottom Up
- Food and Resupplies
- The Camera
- JMT Training Hike 4: Mt. Baldy
- New Training Plan
- Last Minute Prep, Freaking Out, and Loose Ends
- Day 1: Happy Isles to Little Yosemite Valley
- Day 2: Half Dome
- Day 3: Little Yosemite Valley to Past Sunrise Creek
- Day 4: Before Sunrise High Sierra to Tuolumne Meadows
- Day 5: Lyell Canyon Out and Back
- Day 6: A Quick Jaunt on the PCT
- Day 7: Red's to Deer Creek
- Reducing Pack Weight and Changing Food